As a Victorian government organisation, North East Water is required to comply with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (“PDP Act”). There are 10 Information Privacy Principles (“IPPs”) in the PDP Act that govern the way that North East Water collects and handles your personal information.
North East Water’s Privacy Statements briefly outline the 10 IPPs and explains how North East Water manages your personal information in accordance with them.
The ten Information Privacy Principles can be summarised as follows:
- Use and disclose personal information for the purpose it was collected, or for a related purpose if it would reasonably be expected. Some important interests, such as protecting health and safety or a legal requirement, can justify use and disclosure without consent. Otherwise, seek the person’s consent.
- Keep personal information accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- Keep it secure. Destroy it or de-identify it if no longer required and the law allows.
- Let people see their information and correct it if necessary, perhaps through Freedom of Information.
- Minimise creating and sharing ID numbers with other organisations.
- Wherever lawful and practicable, allow people to be anonymous.
- If you transfer personal information outside Victoria, take legal steps to make sure these privacy protections travel with it.
- Sensitive information about people – like their ethnic origin, religion, political views, sexual preference or criminal record – need special care.
- Only collect personal information when needed. Be lawful and fair; not unreasonably intrusive. Tell people what you are doing, why and who you might give it to.
This Privacy Statement has been created in two parts: privacy for customers and privacy for current and future employees – reflecting the different information collected for employees compared to customers.
Please refer to our privacy statements below, to learn how North East Water manages your personal information in accordance with these principles.
We offer staff and contractors, the ability to report any data protection breaches. If you suspect a data breach has occurred, please submit the details about the event by completing this form.