Skip to content Skip to navigation
Financial help

Financial help

We can help if you're having trouble paying your water bill.

We understand that financial difficulties can happen to anyone at any time. For example you may have experienced:

  • a loss of or change in income
  • a serious illness, disability or death in the family
  • a separation, divorce or other family crisis
  • a natural disaster like flooding or bushfire
  • other personal problems contributing to financial hardship.

If you are having difficulty paying your bill, call us on 1300 361 622 or register your details via our callback request form, and our team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Callback request

How we can help

Payment Arrangements

We can help by starting a payment arrangement that will fit your budget. Call us on 1300 361 633 for further information.


Pensioners and eligible concession card holders are entitled to discounted water bills.

More information

Community Rebate Program

The Community Rebate Program helps reduce water usage and costs by offering eligible customers a free water audit and rebate or replacement of inefficient water fittings.

The program is a joint initiative between North East Water and the Victorian Government (Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action).

What works will be done?

A qualified plumber, engaged by North East Water will visit your property to audit the efficiency of all your water appliances and carry out limited and appropriate work to help reduce water usage.

The works may include:

  • leak detection and repair
  • repair of hot water service
  • replacement of washers on leaking taps
  • other plumbing works

If you are the home-owner, we need your permission before we start any work. If you are a tenant, your landlord will need to sign a Community Rebate Program Landlord consent form.


To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following criteria:

  • live at the property
  • be financially responsible for the payment of your water account
  • have high water usage and/or
  • determined as a vulnerable customer or in hardship

Please email or call us for more information on 1300 361 633.

Utility Relief Grant

The Utility Relief Grant Scheme (URGS) is a government program that helps people that are unable to pay their electricity, gas or water bills due to special circumstances.

To be eligible you must have a:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Low income earners may also be eligible if their household income is lower than the cap set by the Department of Human Services.

You must also meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • a significant increase in water usage
  • recent decrease in income, for example loss of employment
  • high unexpected expenses on essential items
  • the cost of your water bill is more than 10% of your household income
  • the cost of shelter is more than 30% of your household income.

For more information visit the Department of Human Services website or call us on 1300 361 633.

Financial Counselling

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some help in dealing with any financial stress, a financial counsellor could help. The National Debt Helpline can offer free, confidential and independent support and advice – and referral to local financial counsellors.

Visit the below website or call 1800 007 007 to find more information on the support options available.

Visit the National Debt Line here

Support services

Ask Izzy is a website that connects people in need with local housing, a meal, money help, family violence support, counselling and much more. It is free and anonymous, with thousands of services listed across Australia.

Ask Izzy

Budget tools

Work out where your money is going via the federal government's Money Smart budget planner below.


Our Customer Support Policy

You can look at our Customer Support Policy below.


Domestic and Family Violence Support

You can look at our Domestic and Family Violence Policy below.