Some water meters and pipes are exposed and sit above the ground so they are vulnerable when temperatures are below zero. When water freezes it expands, which can cause a water meter to burst or pipes to split.
If your water meter or water pipes do freeze, the best solution is to wait for the temperature to rise and to naturally unfreeze.
You may be able to find another source of water to pour over the frozen meter or pipe, but never use hot water or it could cause pipe to split. Lukewarm water should be used but it’s better to avoid the situation and protect your water meter from the frost.
Cover your water meter with something that traps the air around it such as a cardboard box or upturned bucket. You must make sure that any cover you use can be removed easily for meter reading and maintenance.
You can collect your free water meter cover from the outside the entrance to our head office in Wodonga (83 Thomas Mitchell Drive).
You can also collect from at the below locations from 1 May 2021:
- Beechworth – Indigo Shire Office, Ford Street
- Benalla – Benalla Library, 2 Fawkner Street
- Bright – Alpine Shire Office, Churchill Avenue
- Corryong – Towong Shire Office, Elyne Mitchell Library, 76 Hansen Street
- Mitta Valley – IGA Eskdale 3764 Omeo Highway
- Myrtleford – Post Office, Clyde Street
- Tallangatta – Towong Shire Office, 32 Towong Street
- Wangaratta – Wangaratta Library, 21 Docker Street
- Yackandandah – Indigo Shire Office, High Street
- Yarrawonga – Bunnings, Kaelia Business Park, Murray Valley Highway and Yarrawonga Newsagency, 59 Belmore Street
Call us on 1300 361 644 to report any problem with your meter. We will arrange a replacement.
It is your responsibility to repair damage to pipes on your side of the water meter. Call a licensed plumber to arrange for repair.
If the pipes are on North East Water’s side of the meter (that is, the water supply before your meter), please contact us immediately on 1300 361 644 to arrange for repair.