Skip to content Skip to navigation
Private water lines

Private water lines

How to apply for a private waterline.

Private waterlines or water supply by agreements can be requested through the Property Services team at or calling 1300 361 622.

Agreements are required when:

  • our reticulation system does not front a consumer’s property and the consumer can only obtain supply by installing a private water line, or
  • a consumer wants to obtain a supply of non-drinking water from a supply main between a water source and a water treatment plant, or
  • a consumers property is outside a declared Water District.

Applications will be considered with the following criteria:

  • impact on North East Water’s bulk entitlement for individual systems and supply capacity ability
  • ensuring that a new application will not disadvantage current customers or the needs of potential customers
  • risk to the integrity of our infrastructure
  • service standards relevant to the applicant and/or existing customers
  • the purpose for which the water is to be used
  • ongoing issues for North East Water.

If a request for a water supply is successful, a licensed plumber must install the private water line extension to meet relevant regulations and standards. These include:

  • consideration of backflow prevention to meet AS3500
  • a water meter is fitted as near as practical to the tapping point on the Corporation’s water main.

For more information, please see the 'extended private water supply works' section in the connection guidelines